To compile "best of" lists.
So here is my list of my Top 10 Reads of 2009. Same rules as last year - only first time reads allowed (no re-reads); and the publishing year doesn't matter, so long as I read it in 2009.
1. The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood
2. Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden
3. The Disappeared - Kim Echlin
4. The Bishop's Man - Linden MacIntyre
5. Too Much Happiness - Alice Munro
6. The Blythes are Quoted - L. M. Montgomery
7. The Composer is Dead - Lemony Snicket
8. Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi
9. The Orange Trees of Baghdad - Leilah Nadir
10. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
Compiling this list, and comparing it with last year's list, it struck me that overall, the books that I read in 2009 were overall not as good as the books that I read in 2008. Here's hoping for a better year in 2010!