Just a few notes before I begin - these are my favourite books that I read last year, they are not necessarily books that were published last year. To keep things fair, I have not included books that I re-read in 2008 (since I usually re-read all-time favourites). I have mixed together fiction and non-fiction. And since some of the books I read before keeping this record, many of the books on the list have not been reviewed on this blog. However, 2 of the top picks just slipped in under the wire...
As always, please feel free to agree or disagree with my choices!
1. Through Black Spruce - Joseph Boyden (Fic., CDN)
2. The Book of Negroes - Lawrence Hill (Fic., CDN)
3. An Imperfect Offering - James Orbinski (Non-Fic., CDN)
4. Good to a Fault - Marina Endicott (Fic., CDN)
5. The Flying Troutmans - Miriam Toews (Fic., CDN)
6. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll (Fic.)
7. Kiss of the Fur Queen - Tomson Highway (Fic., CDN)
8. Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (Non-Fic.)
9. The View from Castle Rock - Alice Munro (Fic., CDN)
10. Moral Disorder - Margaret Atwood (Fic., CDN)
And I have to give an honorary mention to the book that almost made the list, Say You're One of Them - Uwem Akpan (Fic.). If only it were a top 11 list... And yes, those are the original Alice in Wonderland books, and no, I had never read them before.
I'm seeing a couple of trends, neither of which is a surprise to me. I prefer fiction to non-fiction for the most part. And I love Can-Lit.
And now we start a whole new year, and a whole new year's worth of books to read!